Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A Question of Allegiance

Read this post before continuing further.

South Asian, Desi, Punjabi, Mohajir, Pakistani. All these terms are applicable to me. Yet, I am not defined by any of them.

I started to realize this odd truth around 1998 in Saudi Arabia. Our Arab landlord had refused to shake my hand when he found out that I was studying in the US. I was greatly angered by his disgust. It wasn't the fact that he didn't want to shake my hand but that he hated America so much that really bothered me.

During the months after 9/11, I was wounded, nauseated and stunned by the gleeful and conspiratorial stories that poured out of the Islamic world. Upon visiting Arabia in December 2001, I learned about the party-like atmosphere at my dad's office when they heard about 9/11. Note, these were largely the same wretched people whom the Americans had saved in early 1991.

Finally, I had fully understood the consequences of that atrocious culture and the supremely noxious religion. I discovered blogs in the summer of 2002 and I setup my own little corner in late 2004. Not only have I left behind my religion but I also have the freedom to defend the very freedom that I utilize. Thousands of hours of reading have only strengthened my beliefs. I am on the side of the West and I know who I am.

You see, I was born an American... just in the wrong country.

9 comments:

Epaminondas said...

indeed Schrod, indeed. And welcome to the idea of america.

Where any man's son can be the equal of any man's son, - an anathema nearly every place else.

Jason Pappas said...

Bravo, fellow American.

Pastorius said...

Yes, that's right. America is an idea, not just a country.

But, thank God we have a country where the idea is protected.

Pastorius said...

By the way, aren't you still in the wrong country?

:)

SlantRight 2.0 said...

As I commented on "Muslihoon," you are also a brave and heroic person to choose Western Liberty over intolerant Islam.

May God bless you for your strength.

What we are said...

You may deny it or you may not see it but it took great courage to do what you did. You are as American as any person born here. If anyone decides to challenge your American citizenship give me a call. I'll be more than happy to straighten them out.

Anonymous said...

Isn't this what the great melting pot is all about?
Welcome home.

jillosophy said...

That was a beautiful closing line: born an American... just in the wrong country.
As an American, that made me feel so... grateful to you. Thank you.

Isaac Schrödinger said...

Thank you for the warm words everybody.

Pastorius: Life isn't perfect. :-)

Jillosophy: You're welcome.